Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

Raphael Saadiq at the Highline Ballroom NYC - 8/26/08

Raphael Saadiq gave an eloquent and soulful performance at the HighLine Ballroom.
As much as I love his new works Way I See It..I couldn't wait to hear my favorites, It Never Rains in Southern California, Anniversary and not to mention my favorite R.S. Album Instant Vintage. I was a little upset that he didn't do Blind Man, however, I got a chance to ask him for clarification about this song. I tell you....one day I listened to this song several times while riding on the 4 Train to the Bronx, trying to figure out it meant.

So after the show I see Raphael coming from a meet and greet and I asked him, "Please tell me what the Blind Man song is about?" He was kind enough to explain that he was inspired to write the song based on a painting hanging in his home. I was almost right with my analysis. Basically a guy meets a blind man walking down the street, the guy seems to be going through an internal conflict. The blind man picked up on the guy's pain - he told him to go to the prostitute (of course he knew what he was looking for). He told him when you knock on the door "say my name... she'll let you in - for twenty-two dollars- she'll take a way the pain." The prostitute tries to warn him to "keep your twenty-two dollars or you'll be worse than you came." Apparently, Raphael explained that the prostitute was also framed by this Blind Man. It's an interesting song that seems to be metaphoric for an internal battle with self-destructive behaviors such as drugs and lustful acts. It's a deep song. This is one of the most soulful songs that I've heard in a looooong time. Check out the song so you can hear what I'm talking about... Blind Man

BubbleShare: Share photos - Find great Clip Art Images.

6 comments:

Mr Jay said...

this is clearly an old post, but I was just explaining this song to my daughter - about how I first heard it & was intrigued to listen over & over, into the meaning of the song; how it had not only depth of emotion & a story of intrigue, but also backed by a voice for pure enjoyment of the listener. a truly perplexing song. So, was looking it up to show her & am just glad someone was writing about it back then.
Cheers!

Dariusx said...

I echo Mr Jay's thoughts in the prior post. I was also both intrigued and perplexed by the mysterious lyrics. I still don't understand the "framed" part, though.

Dariusx said...

I echo Mr Jay's thoughts in the prior post. I was also both intrigued and perplexed by the mysterious lyrics. I still don't understand the "framed" part, though.

Unknown said...

It is about the music industry....the lady is the industry and the blind man was a fellow singer who had been used by her.

Unknown said...

Its 2019 and I just heard this song, unbelieveable,2009 released , wow, I cant stop playing it

Unknown said...

URGENT LOAN IS AVAILABLE NOW

TODAY I GOT MY DESIRED LOAN AMOUNT $760,000.00 FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? ARE NOW AFFORDABLE HERE FOR YOU TODAY CONTACT Whatsapp +1(541)279-1406 Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my real estate business loan from PROF. MRS.DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS (profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan Ranging from $5,000.00 to $2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender?
MRS.DOROTHY JEAN holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly without cost/stress via Contacts Whatsapp Number +1(541)279-1406 Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com